Who didn't have a Pop Tart every once and a while growing up? Good cold, but better warm...
I decided to make home made pop tarts! There are all kinds of recipes out there, but I took a shortcut and used refrigerated pie dough. I made a variety of strawberry, blueberry and brown sugar filled pop tarts with icing and sprinkles!
Ingredients (Makes about 8-12 tarts):
Dough: 2 packages of refrigerated pie dough (2 rolls of dough per pack)
Strawberry Filling: Smuckers Strawberry Preserves
Blueberry Filling: Smuckers Blueberry Preserves
Brown Sugar Filling: 3/4 cup of brown sugar mixed with 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon and 4 Tablespoons of Flour
Icing: Confectioner's Sugar, Milk (just a little).
- I rolled each sheet of pie dough out a little bit (total of 4 sheets) and then cut out the square shape using a special pop tart press from Williams and Sonoma - More Details here. Each roll of dough will make about 4 squares, or 2 whole tarts (with excess for re-rolling - you can make more once you re-roll).
- Brush a little egg around the outside of the square
- Fill the inside with your filling of choice (not to much - about 1-2 Tablespoons)
- Press one of the dough squares on top of the one you just filled
- Crimp the edges or use the pop tart press to make it look professional
- Continue and Repeat
- Bake in the Oven for 25 minutes on 350 degrees and brush milk on them at the 10 minute mark
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling
- Make the frosting by mixing 1-2 cups of confectioners sugar and a couple Tablespoons of milk until it reaches the right consistency (should be thick)
- Frost your pop tarts (I put the frosting in a Ziploc bag, and the cut the tip off and used it as a piping bag)
- Add Sprinkles as desired
You are done. Enjoy!