Looking for a fresh, fun, tasty option for a summer barbecue appetizer? Here is a great idea I put together for BBQ I went to tonight. I was inspired by a recipe I saw on my Epicurious.com app, but I changed it a bit, so here is what I did.
8 inch wooden skewers
1 ripe cantaloupe, (make cantaloupe melon balls using a melon baller)
1 container of grape tomatoes
1 package of basil
1/2 cup olive oil
2 containers (16 oz) of the small mozzarella balls in water (8 oz per container). Or you could buy a big ball of mozzarella and cut it up
About 6 slices of thinly sliced prosciutto
1 medium Shallot (peeled and quartered)
Salt and Pepper
I made two different types of skewers.
- For the tomato and mozzarella skewers I put three grape tomatoes and two mozzarella balls on each skewer in alternating order: tomato, cheese, tomato, cheese, tomato. (I think it made about 12 skewers)
- For the cantaloupe, prosciutto and mozzarella skewers I put three cantaloupe balls, 2 mozzarella balls and 1 piece of prosciutto (cut in half so it makes two pieces per skewer) in alternating order: cantaloupe, prosciutto, mozzarella, cantaloupe, prosciutto, mozzarella, cantaloupe. (I think this made about 12 skewers)
- Then, I made a delicous and easy sauce to drizzle over all the skewers
- In a food processor or blender, put in basil leaves (I used the whole package from the prepacked basil section), and ~1/2 cup olive oil, 1 quartered medium shallot and a generous pinch of salt. Pulse it so it turns into a sauce and the pieces of basil are very small.
- I then drizzled the sauce over everything and put in the fridge to mellow and chill for about an hour before serving
- Before serving, sprinkle with salt and cracked pepper (yes, even on the fruit ones). Salt makes everything better.
These disappeared and both kinds were popular! Enjoy!