This chili bake won me #1 of 10 entries in the neighborhood chili cookoff!!!
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1.5 - 2 lbs ground sirloin
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
- Cayenne hot sauce
- Tomato paste
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 cans of chili beans in chili sauce
- 1/2 can of corn (drained)
- Beef broth
- Olive oil
- Sour cream (optional)
Corn Bread Topping
- 2 boxes of jiffy corn bread mix
- 1/2 can corn (drained)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup pimiento cheese (optional)
- Sauté chopped onion in heated olive oil over high in a large pot until soft
- Add in ground beef to the pan and keep sautéing until brown
- Add in Approx (adjust to your liking) a tablespoon of kosher salt, 4 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 tablespoons of cumin, 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, and a couple of shakes of hot sauce. You can adjust this seasoning more later
- Mix in seasonings and sauté and then mix in a small jar of tomato paste (4 tablespoons ish)
- Sauté a little more then add in your drained can of chopped tomatoes, your 1/2 drained can of corn, your 2 cans of chili beans in chili sauce and stir
- Pour in 1 cup or so of beef broth. You can add more to loosen it up later if you want as well
- Bring to boil and then cover and reduce to low. Simmer about 30 mins or as long as you want.
- Taste. Not salty enough? Add more salt. Too acidic? Add some more brown sugar. Not smoky enough? More cumin. Not chili enough. More chili. Not spicy enough? More hot sauce.
While the chili is simmering:
Make the cornbread topping and mix together the 2 boxes of cornbread mix, the 1/2 can of drained corn, the 2 eggs, the milk, the cheddar cheese and pimiento cheese (optional).
Preheat oven to 375 F
- Pour chili into a big baking dish. I used a big deep metal aluminum disposable pan.
- Top with cornbread mixture. Smooth it out with a rubber spatula. It’s ok if a little chili mixes into topping.
- Bake for 30-45 mins til baked and brown
- I topped with another cup of cheese 15 mins before done baking
- Serve with sour cream
Post a Comment